We’re in a bit of a cozy revolution, don’t ya think?
We’re working from home and creating beautiful lives for ourselves all from the comfort of our own spaces. (And it’s not just me, right?)
If you’re like me, you crave a space that wraps you in warmth and tranquility—a place where every corner invites you to curl up with a good book or unwind after a long day.
With the right cozy home decor ideas, achieving that dreamy ambiance is easier than you think.
Let’s explore the magic of cozy home decorating ideas so your home can be Pinterest-worthy. ✨
What You Need to Know Before Finding Cozy Home Decor Ideas
Before we dive into the world of snug throws and ambient lighting, let’s talk about decluttering.
Marie Kondo is my girl when it comes to tidying up. Especially after we went through her entire process and it changed the way we lived.
Her philosophy is simple, and I think it’s something everyone needs to do before even thinking about entertaining cozy home decorating ideas: only keep things in your home that spark joy.
So ask yourself…
- Are there items lingering around that no longer serve a purpose or bring you joy?
- Is there clutter around your space that you haven’t touched in months?
- Are there things collecting dust that give you anxiety just thinking about?
Trust me when I tell you— I did it. And I think you should, too.
Before starting anything, read (or audiobook) her two books:
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up — to understand the process
- Spark Joy — to better understand what “sparking joy” really mean. I needed clarification, for sure.
Her decluttering process isn’t just about getting rid of stuff—it’s also about organizing what you have in a way that maximizes space and functionality.
Grab those two books before getting into the rest, so there will naturally be room for cozy goodness to come!
Small, Curated Shops Over Big-Box Stores When Possible
Now, onto our next tip: When it comes to finding the perfect pieces to elevate your space, consider small, curated shops over big-box stores whenever possible.
Honestly, I could not in good faith give you Home Goods decor ideas when I know there are curated, handmade items on Etsy.
Think about it—wouldn’t you rather have a piece in your home that tells a story? Something unique and one-of-a-kind that reflects your personality and style?
A handcrafted pottery mug, a vintage rug with a rich history, or an all-natural artisanal candle are all pieces that add character and charm to your home.
Not only does supporting small businesses and artisans feel good, but it also lets you create a space that’s as unique as you are. ✨
Thrifting, Thrifting, Thrifting
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of giving pre-loved items a new lease on life.
You’re reducing waste and minimizing your environmental impact.
If it’s your first time, navigating the aisles of a thrift store can be overwhelming, but keep an eye out for items with good bones that can be easily upcycled or repurposed.
Remember— you can change the color of certain items— look for the shapes and designs primarily, and see what you might be able to customize (or hire out to customize).
Cozy Home Decor Ideas
Now that you have the right mindset in place, let’s get you some cozy home decor ideas you can bring home with you. This is from my experience decorating my own space. Since I create content, write music, and relax from home, I knew it needed to be in a constant state of cozy.
1. Focus on Warm (Lighting, Colors, Fabrics + Textures).
Creating a cozy atmosphere is all about engaging the senses, and nothing sets the mood quite like warm lighting and tactile textures.
- Warm lighting: Soft, diffused lighting can instantly transform a room into a cozy retreat. Swap out harsh, cold overhead lights for warm bulbs or add dimmer switches to create a soft, inviting glow. We love our dimmable, customizable Wiz lights where we can customize the scene in every room.
- Warm color palettes: Plan out your space with softer hues like soft neutrals, earthy tones, and muted pastels to create a sense of warmth and comfort. Think shades of beige, terracotta, and dusty rose for a cozy color palette that soothes the soul. Compare this to blues and bright whites, which give off a colder, harsher vibe.
- Cozy fabrics and textures: Layer soft blankets and cushions adds visual depth and dimension, while textured rugs and woven throws bring a touch of coziness to any space. Plus, it’s warm, too! Just focus on sustainable options, like ones made of organic cotton, bamboo, and hemp.
2. Bring in Your Favorite Colors.
We talked a little bit about color already, but I wanted to emphasize the importance of picking colors that spark joy for you. And surrounding your home with colors that spark joy will also make it cozy for you! Here’s one thing I want to emphasize:
You can make any color cozy. Yes, even cold colors. If your favorite color is purple (like me!) but you still want to evoke a cozy mood, find a purple that has a muted tone or has grey undertones. Purple is technically a cool color, but because of the way I balanced it with warmer colors with the rest of the room, it’s still giving cozy vibes.
3. Make it Earthy.
There’s something undeniably calming and grounding about bringing natural elements into your home decor.
See, if we’re just aiming for a modern interior, we’re not going to feel welcomed into our room. It’ll feel more like a waiting room than a place we can sit back, relax, and watch X-Files for a day straight and not feel judged.
It’s the earthy home decor ideas that make these spaces cozy. Like:
- Reclaimed wood and sustainable furniture
- Dried plants and flowers around the house. I’ve seen a lot of eucalyptus home decor ideas like putting dried ones in vases, hanging fresh bundles in your shower, and hanging them on the walls.
- Emphasizing windows, by using beautiful flowing curtains that draw the eyes towards the greenery outside. (Remember to hang the rod a few inches below your ceiling so your curtains hang high and make the illusion of longer windows.
4. Add in Spa Decor Ideas, Too.
There shouldn’t be anything more cozy than your favorite spa, so why not make your home like it, too? Sprinkle in some of these ideas to add to your home:
- Aromatherapy: Essential oil diffusers are your friends, as well as beeswax candles.
- Added coziness: There’s cozy, and then there’s COZY. Look around at the things you use every day and think about how you could make it more comfortable. Does your rug desperately need a rug pad to help support your feet? Are you craving a little more support on your couch? There are always ways to make your home feel that much cozier.
- A curated playlist: as a musician, my mind is always buzzing with more musical ideas. But think about brainwave music, or instrumental indie folk music to keep on in the background to help you relax.
I truly believe that your home should help you cultivate all the inspiration you need to live a beautiful life. I hope you got a few good cozy home decor ideas so your home can be the cozy oasis it should be.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we'll receive a commission if you purchase through our link, at no extra cost to you.