You probably think about the ingredients in your food nearly every day.
But have you ever thought about the stuff that’s in the sprays, wipes, and solutions we use to wipe our floors? ?
You know, where our kitties prance around, where little ones like to crawl, and sometimes even where we find ourselves sitting with a cup of tea on lazy Sunday mornings?
The truth is, the ingredients in those products can be a big deal, in fact, not just for the sparkle and shine of your floors, but for your home’s health and overall vibrancy.
NIH conducted a study that demonstrates just how much toxicity is in the traditional cleaners we use. Although they didn’t mention names, they did find that up to 75% of products contained irritants, 64% harmful materials, and 28% corrosive materials.
All for something that’s just supposed to disinfect and protect your home.
So, I wanted to create this little guide for you— because we all deserve peace of mind when it comes to the health and sanctity of our spaces— so you’re spraying just what you need on your floors and none of those extraneous, toxic fragrances. Here’s your guide to the best nontoxic floor cleaners, plus some extra products to use with it!
Does non-toxic really matter?
2 years ago, I never really considered the ingredients of anything outside of my food and drinks.
That was the only thing going inside my body, right?
But the more conscious I became of truly hazardous and toxic ingredients to avoid like fragrances, glycol ethers, and surfactants, the more frustrated I got with the supposedly “green” cleaning solutions I was purchasing.
Mrs. Meyers advertised themselves as a plant-based formula, but they have synthetic fragrances up the wazoo!
I felt like these companies were misleading the public, and I realized that it’s no wonder so many people struggle with chronic inflammation, allergies, and other health issues that they can’t explain.
The truth is, it’s easy to overlook the impact of these toxic cleaners (especially the greenwashed ones) on our health, and pretty tricky to find a floor cleaner amidst all the noise.
These sneaky culprits often contain chemicals that can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system, and prolonged exposure? I can’t stress enough the importance of understanding what goes into the products we use daily. By opting for natural cleaning products for our floors, we’re not just keeping our home clean, but we’re putting our well-being at the forefront.
And plus, Mother Earth needs some love too. Those chemical-heavy cleaners full of preservatives? Once they’re washed away, they don’t just disappear— they find their way into our water systems, harming aquatic life and the overall balance of our ecosystems.
By choosing non-toxic options, we’re protecting ourselves and the planet. Plus, if we’re purchasing our own cleaning solution machine (which we’ll touch on), then we’re saving hundreds of new plastic bottles while we’re at it. We love products that are non-toxic and eco friendly!
The best non-toxic floor cleaners
There are lots of brands that say they’re non-toxic, but we did the work to actually see for ourselves. Here’s the criteria we used to pick our favorite non-toxic floor cleaners:
Ingredients: This was the primary decision-maker– a 100% natural formula! No artificial fragrances, no toxic chemicals, just the bare minimum, most natural ingredients to be the best floor cleaner for your home that’s kid and pet-safe.
Sustainability: We also considered what cleaners were machines in and of themselves and didn’t require you to continue purchasing more and more bottles. Of course, we had to vary this a little bit, so we could make sure we had a range of pricing, but this was also a big factor.
Affordability: We have a few variations of products based on their affordability, some of which are a bigger upfront cost but save you in the future from auto-shipping cleaners to your home. Others are smaller up-front costs but require you to continue purchasing, but either way, there’s a range dependent on what you want.
1. Best Multi-Purpose Cleaner: Healthy Hydration Disinfecting Spray
- Natural disinfection: The Best Hydrogen Water Disinfecting Spray can make both Hypochlorous Acid and Sodium Hypochlorite, natural compounds that are mighty against germs. With just a push of a button, you get a powerful cleaner that’s not just efficient, but also kind to our environment, and can have a stronger or more basic cleaning power based on whether you add salt to the machine before pressing “go” or not.
- All-natural effectiveness: This spray goes above and beyond in cleanliness. From tackling messy areas to disinfecting hands and supporting skin, it’s touted to be 80x more potent than bleach but using natural ingredients.
- Diverse uses: You can use this both as a multi-purpose cleaner and for your own skin, with a wide range of cleaning uses. You can apply cleaner to your floors, a countertop cleaner, for wound care, veterinary needs, eye care, hospital use, dermatology, or pink eye– kind of like the Swiss army knife of disinfectants.
What we love
- Versatile: Not only will the spray save you money in the long run by letting you make your own cleaner, but it’s also the only cleaning solution you’ll ever need— floors, windows, and skin. It’s kind of crazy, right? The solution lasts up to 2 weeks after being activated, but if you want it stronger, simply hit the button again before using it.
- Gentle yet potent: The Hypochlorous Acid component is gentle, making it perfect for delicate areas like the eyes, yet so effective in targeting bacteria, and the Sodium Hypochlorite is a little stronger, but without any added harsh chemicals, just salt. Plus, if you’re sensitive to scents, then worry not– it doesn’t smell strongly of vinegar or have any overly intrusive oil scents if that’s not your thing.
- A bottle that multi-tasks: Like we mentioned, with the ability to create two powerful types of water, this cleaner is like having two products in one— for the skin and for the home. If you’d like, you can create your own Sodium Hypochlorite cleaner, pour that into a spray bottle, and then make Hypochlorous Acid for your skin. (Just don’t use the Sodium Hypochlorite for windows and mirrors, as it’ll leave behind streaks!)
- Portable: No complicated instructions here! It’s straightforward and user-friendly. It comes with a charger so you can bring it on the go, which makes it really great for traveling, and it’s just one simple button to push.
- Fragrance-free: As much as you might love the smell of essential oils, sometimes it’s nicer to have a hardwood floor cleaner that’s fragrance-free. You might feel like the Sodium Hypochlorite solution smells slightly of bleach, but that’s because it’s a main ingredient of bleach– no bleach is created through it!
What we didn’t love
- Bigger upfront cost: At the time of this writing, this costs $250, which might be a significant investment for someone who just wants to try it out, first.
*Use the code VIOLET at checkout to get $50 off your purchase!
2. Best for Easy Cleaning: Force of Nature Multi-Purpose Cleaner
- EPA registered & climate pledge friendly: This cleaner is EPA registered and has the stamp of being Climate Pledge Friendly. So, not only are you keeping your home spick and span, but you’re also being kind to our planet. It’s also a hospital-grade disinfectant that knocks out 99.9% of germs!
- Year supply bundle: The starter kit and 50 capsules are included, so you’re set for an entire year. That means 12 months of sparkling clean, deodorized spaces without constant reordering.
What we love
- Natural and gentle: This natural cleaner is not just powerful; it’s also gentle on the planet and people, requiring just salt, water, vinegar, and its electrolysis machine to make a powerful cleaning solution that’s non-toxic.
- Replaces multiple products: Say goodbye to the clutter of all those cleaning labels underneath your sink. Force of Nature replaces bleach, sanitizers, and multiple other cleaners, which don’t just clutter up everything, but add unnecessary chemicals to your home.
- Glowing reviews: Real users have been loving it, from its efficacy in cleaning mold/mildew inside washers to its gentleness that doesn’t trigger allergies.
What we didn’t love
- Usability concerns: Some users mentioned having to dilute the solution to get the right pH balance, so getting the perfect balance might take a bit of tinkering.
- Customer support issues: A few mentioned not getting the most helpful responses from the company when they ran into problems.
3. Best for Naturally Delicious Smells: Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap
- 18 different uses: This soap is a versatile 8-ounce gem! It’s made with organic oils and can be used in a whopping 18 different ways, for the face, body, and hair to laundry, pets, and dishes, this concentrated vegan and non-GMO soap is the ultimate multitasker. (I use the almond castile as a body soap and it’s my absolute favorite!)
What we love
- Super versatile: It’s not just a soap! Users are getting creative with this soap, from using it as a garden insect repellent to mixing it into shampoo for that tingly sensation. With 18-in-1 uses, the possibilities are honestly endless.
- Smells amazing with all-natural oils: Sure, you could go the unscented route, which a lot of the alkalized products tend to have (don’t want the essential oils to mess up the machine!) but for those who love adding a natural aroma to your space, these are honestly the best, whether you’re using it as a spray or making it into a more deep wood floor cleaner with your mop.
What we didn’t love
- Pricing on Amazon: While they’re available on Amazon, the pricing might not be as competitive as if you were to buy it either directly off their site or even at Whole Foods (I know, Whole Foods being more affordable?!). Make sure to price check to get your best option if you want to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
4. Best Odorless Degreaser: PathoSans All-Purpose Degreaser
- All-purpose magic: This cleaner is a jack-of-all-trades. From surfaces to floors, bathrooms to upholstery, its main goal is to get rid of deep grime.
- Natural goodness: This detergent and degreaser has natural plant-based and simple ingredients, without surfactants, ammonia, VOCs, phosphates, and more.
- Great bulk option: One gallon of this concentrate can make 64 16oz bottles. Talk about stretching your dollar!
What we love
- Value for money: At just $0.39 per 16oz bottle when diluted, this is a really great option if you like buying cleaners in bulk, especially since it’s a multi-surface floor cleaner that’s made from very simple ingredients.
- Concentrated: It’s concentrated, meaning fewer bottles and less waste. While it’s packaged in a plastic bottle, while we’re not crazy about it, it definitely beats those watered-down cleaners that you’ll see across grocery shelves and on Amazon, adding excess water and thus more shipping weight and using more plastic.
What we didn’t love
- Made in plastic: I know it’s pretty hard to get a liquid cleaner in packaging other than plastic, but still. I’ve seen hard floor cleaners, detergents, and other cleaning agents that come in a powdered form and packaged in cardboard so it saves even more space and materials in shipping.
5. Best DIY Cleaner: Water + Vinegar + Tea Tree Oil or Lavender Oil
- All-natural ingredients: A concoction of just water, vinegar, and your choice of essential oil ensures that you’re keeping harmful chemicals away from your home with a quick visit to your pantry (or the grocery store).
- Anti-bacterial properties: Vinegar, tea tree and lavender oils are renowned for their natural antibacterial and antifungal properties and are really safe to use around pets and kiddos (after all, you’re probably already using vinegar in cooking and essential oils in a diffuser or for health purposes).
- Aromatherapeutic benefits: Tea tree oil leaves your home with a fresh, medicinal scent, and lavender oil provides calming and soothing aromas for laminate flooring, vinyl flooring, or hardwood flooring.
What we love
- Cost-effective: These are staple ingredients that most households already have, making this solution not only eco-friendly but a super easy DIY to make at home.
- Pick your natural scent: You can have flexibility around the scent, whether you want tea tree oil, lavender, something a little different, or even a combined scent.
What we don’t love
- Might not suit all floor types: While this mixture is fantastic for many surfaces, homes with specific stone or wood floors should do a patch test first to avoid any potential damage. Floor cleaners for hardwood floors usually need specific oils or conditioners to make sure they don’t get damaged.
- Scent intensity: For those sensitive to scents, even natural ones, a vinegar wash floor cleaner might be a little intense for your nose. Consider some of the scent-free options if you’re a little sensitive to smells.
More non-toxic floor cleaners + accessories
- mioeco reusable paper towels: A natural option to wipe up your multi-surface cleaners
- Bamboo Naturals Evriholder Microfiber Towels: Another towel option
- Touch of Oranges Touch of Beeswax Furniture Polish: A natural wood cleaner
- ETEE Shop Floor Cleaner Concentrate: A mix of natural ingredients concentrated together
- Roses Natural Store Peppermint Floor Cleaner: A floor cleaner that comes with a nice pepperminty smell!
It’s funny— I used to put floor cleaning off as just another annoying chore that I needed to do around the house. But when you choose to be a little more mindful about your floor care, the ingredients you’re using, and what you’re actually cleaning, you’re really letting everything in your home spark joy for you.
Every time we choose non-toxic, we’re saying, “Hey, I love you!” to every little toe that tiptoes, every paw that prances, and every soul that dances within our walls.
If you liked this, you might love…
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we'll receive a commission if you purchase through our link, at no extra cost to you.